Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Duke University-The Center for Documentary Studies

I watched two podcasts which were “The South In Black and White” and also the film “Broken.” I felt that these two podcasts were very educational but both in different ways.

The first podcast I watched was “The South in Black and White” this was a very interesting podcast since in one of my classes I am taking we have been talking a lot about this kind of stuff. This podcast discussed how the history of racism is incorporated into literature and other arts at Hayti Heritage Center. The class is going to be discussing different controversial topics and how to deal with race these in today’s society. They talk about different goals that will help improve the racial issues. Each student has to share what their point of view is and how it got them where they are today. During this podcast I saw that the Duke Lacrosse team incident was mentioned many times and it happened to be viewed as an opportunity to start the discussions about race and how to educate people.

The second podcast I watched was “Broken” which was a HIV educational video from South Africa. This one was a little more disturbing to me then I expected. This podcast is about a girl who gets raped by her father and chastised by her mother. She has no way around this which is very sad. She can not talk to her parents about what “another parent” does because then she gets blamed for lying and has to deal with the pain and torture she goes through. The purpose of this video is to inform the public eye about the abuse that many children suffer and go through. This was a hard video for me to sit and watch it was very sad to see what this girl was going through.