Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Growth vs. Fixed Mindsets

The Growth vs. Fixed Mindset is a podcast that is done by a Psychology Professor Carol Dweck at Stanford University. As Carol explained how the student’s mindsets, either if they are fixed or by growth it affects their performance with academics. Carol did an experiment on students and split them into groups of fixed mindset and growth mindsets. Those students that were in the fixed mindset group were the students that become more visibly intelligent and the students in the growth mindset group were the ones that were taught how to take in information and store it. Professor Carol stated “That by telling people that their minds work as a muscle and the more you use it the more it will grow and get stronger just like if you were to work out the more you work out the stronger you will be.” A lot of people have a good chance of believing in them-selves and get better at things.

I can see by using this information in my classroom being helpful to me since I am going to be working such young kids. The kids are still going to be learning a lot and trying to take in all sorts of information and trying to understand everything. But I am going to do whatever it takes for my students to understand everything even if it takes a couple tries of just sitting down and learning the material until they truly understand it and I see that they understand the material.

2 comments:

Crystal Powell said...

I really like the "brain as a muscle" comment. I think many people view it as an abstract thing instead of a real organ that need to be "exercised" regularly.

Jennifer Averitt said...

Excellent! Keep up the good work.